#WearingBlack at the GOLDEN GLOBES - Did it matter?

Back in Black

OK, so the GOLDEN GLOBES came and went and it was a rather special and positive spectacle! The idea behind it was to "protest" the pigs of patriarchy, always a good idea in my book, and to show solidarity with the recent #MeToo and #Time'sUp" movements. The female members of the movie industry had announced to wear black - which most actually did - and they looked better than ever! It should from now on be the rule! I wear black all the time by the way - actually since I was a teenager - when I drove my Mom crazy with my black-clothes-antics. So, to me it was just another day in black.  

Generally speaking, awards are an excellent place to show where you stand politically and humanly - and yes, even fashionably. But to think that there is any significance in wearing a certain color to an event where only the movie elite is part of - is a bit naive. It has been done at the "Oscars", and that Jane Fonda, who I love, wore a black Saint Laurent Pantsuit among classic couture in 1972 had NO effect on world-peace or women's liberation. Except that a lot of women wished they could afford such a sharp and chic outfit. 
Truth be told, all the women at the GLOBES seemed genuine and eager to support, give their money and participate in something truly important for women's advancement. There were rousing and moving speeches, yet they took place in a very limited circle.

Let's face it. The world is a stage (especially around Award Shows) - still mostly for men - women are and always have been bit-players, who mostly struggled and harbored anger and resentment - but basically went along without causing a serious revolution. Finally, NOW, there's a big crack in men's dominance. 
It's such a great time to shake things up for real, to wield the sword of  women's power and liberation and demonstrate serious commitment, guts and intelligence. I want to yell: "Don't water it down, women!" Look back at the suffragettes, and the risks they took - well, they weren't in the entertainment industry and they didn't want to be rich, famous or beautiful - they had a much more modest mission which in those years were even more incendiary - equality. And why I applaud every single outspoken and courageous woman - I also think that there is room for 
emulating some of the spirit of the suffragettes.


But back to fashion. The most effective comment all the insanely rich showbiz-women can do in the future is to show their true colors every single day in more than one way.  Simply come dressed as YOURSELF, wearing chic, affordable clothes, any woman can relate to, no need parading around like a walking advertisement for designers (by the way, the majority of designers are men!!). 
I would find that refreshing and revolutionary. All pulling at the same string! And isn't that about what we're all fighting for? 


Comments

  1. Wonderful post! My thoughts exactly.....put much more eloquently than I could have put it. It doesn’t make one bit of difference what color you’re clothing is and talk is useless unless backed up by action. I’m hoping this doesn’t turn out to be another Hollywood “trend”. I think most of these actors knew what was going on for years and never got involved until a few brave souls brought it to light. Shame on those others who did nothing for so many years but now are jumping on the bandwagon. Thank you for your on point view.


    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shame on you, I expected better. Are you actually missing the point or did you just not appreciate the manner in which it was made?

    Post show (of course) I feel that the all black was extremely effective in promoting solidarity, a coming together of many famous names and faces - people many of us, men, women and children look up to, appreciate and admire.

    Nothing wrong at all in using fashion as a tool, just because they do happen to be rich, famous and/or beautiful doesn't mean they can't be every bit as effective as the suffragettes were in their time.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very important - as is always pointed out - that we really don't want to hear the word "shame (on you"), ok? No, I'm not "missing the point!" Dare I maybe just not share your very own opinion?? Is that allowed? I find your lecturing annoying and useless. I thought the women at the Globes all LOOKED better than ever in black - and I enjoyed the evening. However, I doubt very much the true and lasting effect all these well-meaning stars have in the end. That's my point - that maybe YOU don't get?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CAREFUL! Sexy Silver Senior unleashed!

YOUR FACE IS YOUR STORY - Keep it Real!!

To Date - or not to Date - Is it OK or STUPID?